Hi all,
An hour left before the departure of our night train from Bangkok to Ubon (border place between Thailand and Laos) , departure time 20.30, expected arrival time 7.30 tomorrow morning if no delays happens, which seems to be quite frequently.
Both Arjan & I had a good flight. Arjan made yesterday with the group a bike tour through the city (Chinatown, klongs = canals, alleyways, ...) before returning to the hotel (very convenient, unexpected luxury one!), where I waited for him. I arrived 5 hours after Arjan's flight and made a short trip on my own to Vinanmek Teak Mansion, the world's largest golden teak building. Getting dark at 17.30 I wanted to be back before in the hotel being afraid to get lost such a very 1st day after such a very long flight. I could not find a taxi, but I knew that the hotel was close by, so I returned by foot. And yes, it is hot, and yes it is humid, but that's part of the deal: better to accept it, than to complain about it.
After a good night sleep, we've made a relaxed day by visiting some of Bangkok's highlights, like the Grand Palace, amazingly rich and colourful decorated, the Wat (= temple, remember this word) Phra Kaew showing the Emerald Budhha, the Wat Pho - the largest and oldest temple of Thailand - exhibiting the largest declining Buddha of Thailand. We were pleasantly surprised by the perfect condition of all the buildings and statues. Because of the decease of the sister of the King of Thailand - the longest reigning king of the world since 61 years - a period of mourning has been declared for 3 months so not everything is always open. The King's sister seems to be cremated in 3 days, so we are leaving just in time, before the city gets crazy.
At arrival tomorrow morning we have to travel another 7 hours, quite exhausting all together.
Our tour guide seems to be OK, a young Dutch man married to a Thai woman, living here, speaking the language,.. Personally I hardly met the other group members, time enough this night and tomorrow during the long voyage!
Stay well !!
Ingrid & Arjan - Bangkok Nov. 10th 2008 - hot & humid even at 20.00 !
No comments:
Post a Comment