Thursday, 27 November 2008

27-11-08 Siem Reap

An easy wake-up; our meeting for the helicopter flight was only at 9.30 a.m. and I hope that this flight is not the only flight we are going to make this week, because such would mean that our Saturday flight would be cancelled :-( because of the Bangkok airport problem.

Very easy going flight, even though it was windy and a bit shaky. This time the Angkor site from the sky, wonderful. It took us also across Siem Reap to the floating villages on the shore of the Tonlé Sap Lake. During the wet season (June-October) the lake swells from 2500 sq km to over 12,000 sq km. The Tonlé Sap is one of the most abundant resources for freshwater fish and a major source of food for the local area.

Back in town around 10.45 a.m. we decided to take it easy, but such turns out sometimes to be hard in Cambodia... Personally I was not interested, but the 3 others wanted to see a photo-exhibition, unfortunately it took us a long time to find the correct address.

On the way we both find a nice - the only so far - souvenir: a hand painted simple drawing representing a typical Cambodian farmer with his oxen made by a disabled artist, who directly will receive the fund of this sale, which is a good thing. Major problem is how to get this in good shape to our homes...

I (Ingrid) got fed up with walking around, so Arjan & I separated and I installed myself in a cool - important, if the sun is burning - internet café, where I am working on the blog and reading some - the connection is very slow as usual - of my emails before joining Arjan again.

In the evening we were discussing with the worrying situation at the Bangkok airport. We all decided to leave the next day anyway for Bangkok with our own bus, as initially planned, as recommended as well by all the Dutch travel agencies.
Fortunately we did not decide earlier to take a flight from Siep Reap to Bangkok, to gain some time, because this flight was cancelled anyway.
That does not solve my problem, since I have a own ticket with Air France and have to look after it all myself :-(( I could have decided to return to Phnom Penh and try to organise from there a return flight, but I didn't.

In the evening the 4 of us and our Dutch guide had a good diner in the touristy centre (reminded me of Paris' Quartier Latin, but the food was much better) for our last Cambodian dinner.

No comments: