Sunday, 12 August 2012

India 2012 (20120810)

Hi All,

Actually I am writing this post on the 12th as I am already home now for 2 days. The last post I wrote in Manali and since then we visited McLeod Ganj, Amritsar and again Dehli.
If you think  McLeod Ganj? Have I ever heared of this town, I have to add that it is close to Dharamsala. As it is well known that the Dalai Lama lives in Dharamsala, I can now actually say that he does not! His Holy Temple is situated in McLeod Ganj, which is a very small village just a few miles besides Dharamsala. The Temple is not one of the nicest Bhudist temples I ever saw. A quite new building made out of concrete with two large halls where the meditation sessions are held.
The best comic I ever saw was the local policeman who managed to get the traffic completely stuck. And that in a village of only 5 streets. i managed to see it all while having a drink (a nice sweet lemon soda) on one of the roof terraces, so I had a good view of it all. A lot of noice (blowing hornes), yelling Indians and a policeman trying to arrange the traffic, but no one took notice of him.

Amritsar: The capital of the Sikh community with only a few highlights. The Golden Temple is the absolute highlight of the city. In a very hectic city this temple is an absolute oasis of peace and rest. The centre of the temple is the Hari Mandir, which is surrounded by water named Amrit Sarovar (Pool of Nectar). The Hari Mandir does have a golden roof in the shape of upside down lotus flower.
The temple is a lovely place to come to rest and enjoy the ceremonies.
In and around the temple you are constantly addressed by the Sikhs asking you where you are from and saying that you are most welcome in their temple.

 In the evening we went to a nearby city (Attari) to the Waga border, to watch the ceremony of lowering the flags of India and Pakistan.   I have seen many military ceremonies in my life, but I really do not know what to think of this one.
On both sides of the border platforms are build to watch the ceremony. On the Indian side a few thousand watchers (mostly Indian people), the Pakistani side could not be seen very well by me, but also a crowd was gathered.
During the time we had to wait for the ceremony on both sides of the border loud music was played. Probably patriotic songs. So it was a real lot of noice.
A local celebrety was agitating the public to get them dancing, singing and waving the Indian flag. If I did not know better I could be watching a football game with a fanatic crowd.
The ceremony itself took only about 15 minutes. A lot of marching, saluting and of course the lowering of the flags. Both the Indian and Pakistan flag are lowered at exactly the same time, the same speed, etc....

Dehli 8 and 9 August
By train we travelled from Amritsar to Dehli in about 6 hours. We travelled 2nd class so no hanging on doors or sitting on the rooftop :-)
In the afternoon I went to the Bahai Temple. A temple build in the shape of a huge Lotusflower ( http://www.shalusharma.com/lotus-temple-must-see-bahai-temple ).



The last day in Dehli I went on a bike tour through the old town.
From DehlibyCycle:
"The Shah Jahan Tour is DelhiByCycle’s classic recipe for an exhilarating glimpse into the life and times of the great Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan and the 1500 acre expanse of his capital - Shahjahanabad. At the time of its construction in the 17th Century, it was arguably, the most prosperous and beautiful city in the world.
Today, when you pass through its four hundred year old web of alleys held together with great big meshes of electric cables and infused with the smell of brewing tea and simmering breakfast curry, you see a mind boggling co-existence of the past and the future, competing for your attention.
Emerging from this rainforest, thick with traditional architecture- typical of Shah Jahan’s time, you will find yourself in a Delhi of another time while you also see the Red Fort, Jama Masjid, the Spice Market and tranquil Civil Lines, the former British colonial area as a sharp contrast to hectic Old Delhi."


Took the nightflight back to Amsterdam where I arrived after a deep sleep at 06:00 in the morning. Got the weekend to rest before going back to work on Monday.

CU,
Arjan

No comments: